Thursday, September 13, 2012

Classrooms of theFuture

After reading the article, "In Classroom of Future, Stagnant Scores", I was some what amazed and yet disappointed at the same time. Here we are in the 21st century and we are surrounded with technology in our cars, our homes, our work environments, even in our hands. I am amazed that this school district has over supplied the schools with only one tool to teach with and yet the basic supplies are left behind. Due to the high spending in one program other programs have been cut due to the budget. You certainly will not develop a diverse student here with knowledge in all fields of learning.
Yet nobody knows how to use it in a way that can improve our children's learning experiences. Don't miss understand me I believe that technology has helped our society in leaps and bounds. However giving a computer to a kindergartner and expecting them to do school work is like giving toys to kids and saying all I want you to do is sit and not play with them. Introducing technology in a teaching environment and having realistic expectations from your students depending on their age, gender and maturity is really the issue here.
Technology to a certain point can hinder someones learning by not allowing them to use their own brain. There are some people who can not do math with out a computer. Yet prior to calculators students and adults were able to acquire this task. I believe to a certain degree we are dumbing our future. It is wonderful what we can do with the advancement of technology but I see improper grammar, poor math skills(multiplication & division) and awkward social skills. Technology in a teaching/learning environment should be encouraged but I do not believe that it should be the only tool used and all of the old practices like pencil and paper should not be eliminated.

No comments:

Post a Comment