The three technologies that have influenced me the most are cell phones, wireless Internet and laptops. I'm sure to some people my list might seem caveman like however I grew up in the 70's & 80's and some of today's gotta haves to me are not as important but still practical but I'm not going to parish if I don't get the latest version.
Cell phones are extremely important to me. It's how I keep in touch with my family and vice versa. When I was a teenager no one had a cell phone and when they first were introduced they were big chunky phones, not like the thin sleek ones of today. Just last week was a perfect example of why everyone in my family has a phone. My daughter goes to Rutger's in New Brunswick, she had to travel to Trenton because she left something on the train. While on route she noticed her car wasn't working right, pulled over and called me. I was in my car and got her message. If this happened to me when I was her age I would have had to walk to the nearest pay phone, leave a message at the house if no one was home and then have to wait for someone to come get me at my car. She was upset and she was able to get to me with real time I can't even imagine what she(my daughter) would have been like if the cell phone was not available to her. Now even though my phone is important to me I do not have the latest phone I have the chocolate which is 6-7 yrs. old it does what I need to do make calls. I do a little texting and I do take some photos. I will probably upgrade to an iPhone but not the 5g that's out but the 4g. I don't need to spend all of this money on something that will be upgraded again in 6 months.
Wireless Internet is another huge influence right now I am writing while sitting on my couch. Never would have been able to do that the old way. You can't have wireless without wi-fi so I have lumped them together. The ease of going any where generally and still have use of my computer is so convenient.
Of course I wouldn't be able to go anywhere with my computer if it wasn't because of the laptop. Having a laptop computer is a lot easier than carrying around the old computer,monitor and keyboard from room to room and don't forget all of the wires. Not that we would even think of doing that. We designated a room, with a desk and a chair(the computer room) and all of our work was done there. Never outside by the pool, never outside or in the TV room. Never at someone else home never, never, never was the typical response of where you could take your computer except for the computer room in a house.
No comments:
Post a Comment